Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Grevillia (locality)


May 6, 2014. 












Glenugie > Kyogle (via Annette)
Kyogle > Grevillia 
35ish k's
 
Grevillia! Ah!  Riding up a gentle slope, a man working in a ditch catches my eye.
"Hello!" I say. 
"Good afternoon!" He replies. 
"Cup of coffee?" He asks.
"Here?"
"Yeah," he points to the upcoming driveway. 
I check for cars and wheel in.  He leads me to his partner, Colleen, cooking in an open kitchen next to an open art gallery. 
"This weary traveler needs some coffee," he says, going back to his yard work.  
"Tea actually, would be great."
Colleen boils the kettle while I stroll around the gallery full of paintings.  
When I have my cup of tea in hand, Colleen asks where I'm heading tonight
I pull out my map. "Hmm, not sure, have to see where I am."
Grevillia. 30+ k's from Kyogle where Annette dropped me off on her way to a garden store at 145 pm.
"Maybe this state forest?" I point.  "Camp in there somewhere."
"Well, you have a 10k climb coming up soon after you leave here. Up up up.  And it's COLD up there."
10ks of uphill in the last hour of daylight?
"Hmm...is there anywhere to camp around here?  10k uphill seems like a morning thing to do."
"You can camp right here."
Right by a paddock full of mini ponies, donkeys, goats, and  even a mini pony/donkey cross. 
"Oh yes, this will be a very lovely camp spot!"

So lucky. I was so nervous starting the ride today. Like never gone on a bike tour before nervous.  Had to sit down in the grass and press my hands into the earth and breathe for a minute before getting on my bike.  Pacific hwy left its mark!
But the "Summerland Way" was brilliant: flat(ish), good quality, and quiet. The scenery splendid: green farms, river rest spots, big trees.  And sulfur crested cockatoos all around.  And I end up here. In this special, safe spot. I am such a lucky traveler, meeting beautiful people all the time.  

 

No comments:

Post a Comment